December 27, 2011
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
olive oil and/or butter
4 spring onions
150g / 5oz of button mushrooms
1 heaped tablespoon plain / all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons English mustard
1 heaped tablespoon creme fraiche (or substitute cream or sour cream)
300ml (approx. 1 cup) chicken stock
1 sheet of puff pastry
1. Turn the oven on to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Cut the chicken breasts into small strips.
3. Add olive oil and/or butter into a large, wide pan. Heat and add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Trim the spring onions and clean the mushrooms. Cut into slices.
5. Add to the chicken with 1 heaped tablespoon of flour and stir.
6. Add 2 teaspoons of mustard, 1 heaped tablespoon of creme fraiche and the chicken stock and stir well.
7. Pick the thyme leaves (to taste - approx. 2 sprigs) and add to the pan.
8. Grate nutmeg (to taste - approx. 1/3 of a nutmeg) into the pan.
9. Season and leave to simmer.
10. Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and unroll the sheet of puff pastry.
11. Use a small knife to lightly score in a crisscross pattern.
12. Take the pan of chicken off the heat and pour contents into an ovenproof baking dish (approx. 30 x 25 cm / 10 x 12 inches).
13. Cover the filling with the pastry sheet, tucking it in at the edges.
14. Beat the egg, then brush it over the top of the pie.
15. Put into the oven and cook for around 15 - 20 minutes, until golden.
Recipe from Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals