Pages

May 29, 2013

How I Freeze Garlic

How I Freeze Garlic

I love fresh garlic in recipes, but sometimes it's nice to have the convenience of minced garlic ready to add to recipes where it will be simmered in a sauce or soup.  That's when I use my frozen minced garlic.

Here's how I do it.


Start with your whole heads of garlic.


Peel the cloves and make sure to discard any that you prefer not to eat.

Notice the arm of my small helper!

Mince them up in the food processor.  You can also drizzle in olive oil to help combine the mixture.  


Use a teaspoon to scoop the mixture and place the dollops on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.  Each teaspoon is approximately two cloves of garlic. 


Open freeze until hard.  Then place into freezer safe containers for future use.  I only make enough to last a month or two at a time, but I believe it will freeze for up to a year like this.  

Have you ever tried this?  How do you preserve garlic?

1 comment:

  1. Clever. What a great way to save when you won't be able to eat it all!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are appreciated!