Makes 12 mini pies
For the Pie Crust
3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening, cold
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
¼ cup ice water
1 egg, for egg wash
For the Apple Filling
3 large apples, peeled and cored
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon corn starch
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
To make the pie crust
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, except the water.
2. Using a fork, pastry cutter or your hands rub together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add in the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.
4. Divide the dough into two equal portions and flatten them into disks.
5. Wrap the disks in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
To make the apple filling
1. Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly grease cupcake/muffin pan.
2. Slice apples thinly and dice into small pieces.
3. In a large bowl, mix all filling ingredients (including apples). Set aside.
4. Once the dough is chilled, roll out to about 1/8” thickness on a lightly floured surface.
5. Using a round cutter larger than the cupcake well, cut out 24 circles of dough.
6. Gently push a circle of dough into each cupcake well.
7. Generously fill the pie crusts with the apple filling (mounded in the centre).
8. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Brush the rims of the crusts with the egg wash.
9. Add another circle of dough to the top of each apple filling and push the edges together to seal.
10. Brush the tops of the pies with egg wash. Using a sharp knife, make two slits in the tops of the pies to allow the steam to escape.
11. Bake for approximately 25 – 35 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
12. Transfer pies to a cooling rack.