2/3 cup sugar
grated zest of 2 lemons
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
juice of 1 lemon
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 to 3 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin.
2. Whisk the sugar, grated lemon zest, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir gently together with a rubber spatula.
5. Stir in the poppy seeds.
6. Fill each muffin cup approximately 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes, until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean.
7. Cool for 5 minutes in tin before removing muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. To make the icing, mix together the icing sugar and enough of the lemon juice to make an icing that is thin enough to drizzle over the muffins.