5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 cup butter, soft
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1. Sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices together in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg to the cream mixture and stir until combined.
4. Add molasses to the cream mixture and stir until combined.
5. Gradually add in the flour mixture. You may not need all of the flour depending on the humidity of your kitchen. I usually add 4 cups and then slowly add a 1/4 cup at a time. Mix until a dough forms.
6. Divide the dough into four. Shape each piece into a flattened disc.
7. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
8. Preheat oven to 350C.
9. Roll out each disc to approximately 1/4" thick between parchment paper or cling wrap.
10. Cut out shapes and transfer to a lined cookie sheet.
11. Bake for 8 - 9 minutes.
12. Leave to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes. Let cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
13. Decorate as desired.
Mix 4 cups confectioner's sugar, 4 tablespoons meringue powder and 4 tablespoons water. If too thick, add more water. If too dry, add more confectioner's sugar. Colour as needed.
Miss C and I tinted the icing green and, while still wet, placed on the Smarties.
All packaged up ready for gifting