3 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1/4 - 1/2 cup ice water
egg for egg wash
Filling ideas - strawberry jam, raspberry jam, cherry jam, stewed apples, nutella
1. Place all the ingredients, except the water, in a large bowl.
2. Combine together with a fork, pastry cutter or your fingers until it resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add in the ice water 1 tbsp at a time until the dough comes together.
4. Divide the dough into two equal portions and flatten them into discs.
5. Wrap the discs in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour (or overnight).
6. Preheat the oven to 375F.
7. Grease a baking pan or line with parchment paper/non-stick liner.
8. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to soften for approx. 15 - 30 minutes.
9. Roll one disc approx. 1/8" thick and into a 9" x 12" rectangle.
10. Trim the edges and cut into 2 1/4" x 3" rectangles.
11. Repeat with the other disc. Make sure you have an even amount of rectangles.
12. Place half of the rectangles on your baking sheet (or as many as will fit).
13. Beat the egg and brush over these rectangles.
13. Place a heaping teaspoon of your filling into the centre of each rectangle.
14. Place a second rectangle of dough on the top as the lid and gently press around the edge to seal. Use the tines of a fork to press down, if desired.
15. Prick the top of each tart with a fork to ensure that steam can escape.
16. Brush the tops with the egg wash.
17. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown.
Cool and enjoy!